Paddington Green Custody Suite, in West Central London, is to become ‘greener’ with the installation of a Powerstar voltage optimisation system.
The installation will be part of the second contract awarded by the Metropolitan Police to EMSc (UK) which will see voltage optimisation systems fitted into an additional 13 police stations across the UK’s capital. Installation of the first Powerstar system commenced in October 2010.
Powerstar will enable the police stations to run more cost-effectively by reducing the amount of energy used, also cutting the level of carbon emissions emitted.
Powerstar designer and managing director of EMSc (UK) Dr Alex Mardapittas commented, “Whether you are running a custody suite like the Metropolitan Police or something less sensitive in the manufacturing or retail sector, you still need the electrical supply to plant and equipment to be secure. By delivering only the voltage that is actually needed and through smoothing out the harmonic distortions that’s exactly what Powerstar delivers.
Voltage optimisation is a cost efficient way to control a building’s incoming voltage in order to maximise energy savings. Powerstar is the most efficient voltage optimisation system in the world. It can save up to 26.1% of total electricity consumption and related CO2 emissions, all without compromising the supply to electrical equipment.
- Can save up to 26.1% of electricity consumption.
- Is fully designed and manufactured in the UK. All Powerstar components, including even minor items such as the paint, are sourced from UK manufacturers. The Powerstar design and any associated software are designed by EMSc UK Limited.
- Requires no maintenance and has a 15 year warranty.
- Is an approved energy savings system and may qualify for an interest-free Energy Efficiency Loan from the Carbon Trust.
- Comes with guaranteed savings.
- Will improve the life expectancy of electrical equipment.
- Will improve the power quality (reduce harmonics and improve the power factor).
- Has the highest efficiency and provides better savings than any other voltage optimisation system sold in the UK. This has been proven in independent tests (on the same load and same voltage reduction), head to head with similar competitive systems.
- In these tests Powerstar achieved:
- Significantly higher energy savings (up to 13% more)
- Reduced harmonics by 88% more than competitive systems
- Running significantly cooler than competitive systems. (While Powerstar operated at normal ambient temperatures, competitive systems were operating at nearly 70°C).
The EMS team has over 150 years combined experience in designing and manufacturing special transformers and the Powerstar design is a direct result of this experience.
2010 – Winners of the Yorkshire Forward Innovator/10: Innovation in Action Award
2006 – Winners of the CARE4AIR AWARD
More info at Powerstar website
Powerstar® is the registered trademark of EMSc (UK) Ltd.